Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Day 2 and 3 (Carrfour and 1st Water Truck Day)

Blog 8/16/16 Car For and LaLoo
Today was day one in Haiti, with the team and boots on the ground.  Yesterday was travel, but we learned a lot about each other which worked well to prepare us for our upcoming mission.  Began the day at Car For, where we saw many women in need of compassion and comfort from our Lord, Jesus.  They were so happy to see us as we entered their room, prepared to give them lotion, love and prayers.  In this day, three women stood out.  The first woman really wanted lotion but her legs were extremely swollen, she was obviously in a lot of pain.  But still, she so wanted to get the lotion, and some love, I was amazed as she insisted on moving her legs onto the bed.  She cringed, and broke my heart.  What could I do but comfort her?  She would smile and cringe as I gently put lotion on, her skin was so tight because of the swelling.  As I spoke to her, she would smile, I would ask if it was ok, she insisted yes.  But still, I felt I could not hurt her any more.  Finally, we had to move on, and I prayed for her.  As I prayed, she looked intently at me, realizing I was praying.  I watched as a peace and calming came over her while the words came out of my mouth… God is your refuge, He loves you with an everlasting love, may He bring peace and comfort to you as He protects you.  You are His beautiful daughter.  The joy of the Lord is your strength.  Love overwhelming covers you, in Jesus name, Amen.  As I left her I saw the light of God come over her, she was peaceful and a look of gratefulness and peace shined from her eyes.  As I left the room, she smiled again at me, and waved. 
Later, I saw a very young woman, extremely weak waiting to get a moment with one of us.  Her eyes lit up as I asked her if she would like some lotion.  As I came up to her, she told me her name, and I began to lotion her arms.  They were extremely thin and weak.  As I rubbed lotion on her, I started speaking to her.  She didn’t really understand me, but kept smiling as I spoke.  I kept speaking the joy of the Lord, to rest in Him for His strength comes from joy.  What a beautiful absolutely stunning smile came out of her.  We locked eyes, and all I could do was smile back.  I gave her some more words of encouragement, and prayed over her.  She lit up as I said Jesus loves you, and again, that stunning smile!  As I finished, I saw Kristine praying over a woman across the room.  She was praying, and crying.  I came across the room, and took the woman’s other hand.  She was in so much pain, literally crying from it.  I started to pray too, and the Holy Spirit moved as we were praying.  She looked at us with tears, crying for Jesus, as we prayed for Him to bring her home and end her suffering.  I wept.  My heart broke wide open.
As we left, I met a young man, who was excited to begin his life.  He spoke with such hope and faith, all about a bright future.  The contrast was amazing… these women, at death’s door, awaiting the ultimate end with our Lord Jesus, and this.  This bright, vibrant young man dreaming how he would impact the world.  As I left I could not help but think about his JOY.  Joy for life.  Then I realized all three of those women, even in pain, were grasping, and sometimes even showing joy.  The JOY of the Lord is their strength.

Blog 8/17/16 Water Truck Day 1

Today we had water truck day.  We didn’t have much time to really think, as usual, as the truck pulled up.  It always happens… we get there, and boom.  The doors open and “Hey You!”  The children come up and all sorts of fun ensues.  We didn’t have any issues on three stops, the team kept it all together as we ran the hose and alternated on who held it, and moved the buckets. The first stop was pretty calm, near Hope Church.  We enjoyed the time seeing the church, I remember when it was a huge pile of garbage, now a church and soon a school, too.  As always, it is tough to leave, but this time, I truly felt hope in Cite Soleil.  The eyes always get to me, the children’s eyes with such hope and beauty.  Even those that were so sick, I could still see Jesus in them.  The least of these, we helped them today, and for that I’m truly grateful.  The most enjoyable thing that happened to day was watching my team.  For many it was the first time.  Each had children at some point, and each was lighting up faces over and over again.  So great to see playing and bucket lifting and water hose splashing, and just plain fun.  In the midst of a world of little, we brought gifts of much more than we knew.  Thank you Jesus for bringing us this gift of doing this for these beautiful people!

Jan

2 comments: