Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Day 2 Least of These

8/17 Day 2: Least of These

Matthew 25: 41-46
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?” “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for the least of these, you did not do for me.’

Today was our first “water truck” day, and the need was great. Amidst the swarming children, mothers and their families come running with empty buckets and containers to help alleviate their thirst. For here, water is LIFE! Our team is a mix of veterans and first-timers, and everyone did great. We only have a team of 9, so it takes everyone working closely together to fill water buckets, carry buckets, and play with the children. It was not uncommon for one of us to be holding three children at once…often times even more! Being my fourth trip to Haiti, I have a pretty good idea of what to expect on a typical “water truck” day. But, today was a little different. I saw a greater appreciation for the help we are providing, but more importantly, I started to see the young men of these communities step-up and truly be an example to others. Change is happening…

Today we also had the privilege to visit Hope Church….a beacon of light that shines in a place commonly described as the poorest area in the western hemisphere. When I first came to Haiti, the ground on which Hope Church now stands was nothing more than 40 feet of garbage and sewage that led out to the ocean. But today, I saw the work of God. Who else could put a church and a school in the middle of such chaos? To think of the hope and opportunity this church will provide to this community is absolutely overwhelming!

For a quick 2 minute overview of Hope Church, please click on the link below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkMH98UPwtg

Wayne

1 comment: