Sunday, April 15, 2018

Wednesday, April 11th 
 Patt Haroldson


       



Today was water truck day- we ventured in to Cite Soleil, 1 mile square in which 300,000 Haitians reside. No trees, no sanitation, no water. and all manner of shelter.  It is divided in to districts which are neighborhoods of sorts.  The debris that life generates is evident, the smell of dust and smoke  is in the air and the clamor of people is every where. Despite the tough conditions, there is a sense of organization and desire to create a home. Healing Haiti (HH) brings water in to each of the districts of Cite Soleil 6 days a week- free, clean and precious. People, including very small children,  gather with every imaginable container to be filled and taken back to their homes: barrels, buckets of every shape and size, bowls, tubs....

On days when a Healing Haiti team of volunteers comes, the people know they will have help carrying their water and the kids come in droves to be held, played with and today, just wanted some of us to sheta/sit with them.  Being part of this team of women, several of whom have never been to Haiti or any 3rd world setting, worked together and dove right in. I spent most of the day under the  water spout pulling buckets in to place and passing the filled ones out to the waiting people. At 1 stop I immediately noticed a very pregnant lady patiently waiting with 1 bucket. People had formed a line but many tried to squeeze in to the front - she just waited. The midwife in me could not help but go and take her bucket. I filled her bucket and we left together to carry it to her home. As we traveled back among the homes we came to a large puddle of water and debris and she stopped me, smiled  and said 'no". She did not want me to have to cross the puddle. Kindness. Without words, we communicated much with smiles and "merci" and parted ways.

The truck refilled and returned to a 3 different areas times. We filled bucket after bucket until the entire tanker is empty. Water is life here.  It is hard to actually describe in words. You'll have to wait for the pictures to understand.

Healing Haiti has built a trust based on a steadfast long term relationship. This legacy of trust made us immediately accepted. I marvel at the opportunity to be in places that give me an intimate view of Haitian life and to be allowed to serve there.  I came here with an attitude that God has a gift, a lesson for me. I arrived open to what ever comes my way.- no expectations except that my life will be enriched, blessed.  There is a joy in living a life open to God's touch and leading- no fear.

I have been to Haiti several times before but this is different. I have not spent time in the Port au Prince area before. I am with some really special women here and I am learning from them and laughing with them and know I am surrounded by encouragement and affirmation.  Each of us has a story and being sisters in Christ and serving together has made us instant friends. We start the day with prayer and song and end the day, reflecting on what we've experienced
Haiti gets in to your heart, it is a hard place, yet I love being here.  Life can be amazing outside of your comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment